Tuesday, April 21, 2009

The Dread Pirate Roberts...or Beverly's, whatever!

~~

I'm making dresses! Two, to be specific. They're for this weekend, for a trip to L.A. to visit my sister-in-law and her husband. Apparently, it's just as hot there as it is up here in Northern Cali, so I need cool (temp-wise, not style-wise) clothing to wear, and currently, I have a dress. Well, two if you count the almost dress/shirt I've been wearing for three days. I think I should wash that before I go!!

~~

One dress is from McCall's--it's the infamous wrap dress from the '50's. I've made it twice before. Neither of which fit me currently. One's way too small, the other, not too big, but just big enough where it doesn't look that great.

The other pattern, Simplicity # 2615--view B with some alterations-- I purchased from the dread Beverly's. But I loved the dresses and the tops. Not too keen on the elastic-waisted pants, but I may make them up to wear until I drop some weight. No sense in not having nice clothing to wear, even when I am heavier than I'd like to be! I just need to find the right fabric for the pants. Something linen-y, I'm thinking. :D


~~


Now, the fabric for these two lovelies I also purchased at Beverly's. Mostly because it's the only fabric store here at my mom's house, where I am currently taking care of my mom while she convalesces with a nasty malady of some sort or another.

*As an aside, that was a really long sentence. Sorry.

I didn't have too much to choose from--at Beverly's--as far as the fabric went. And I didn't really have anything in my stash that would work well for either dress. Not to mention, I didn't have the yardage needed for either dress. The McCall's pattern takes over 4 yards, I believe.

I did manage to find the perfect fabrics for each project, though. I believe I found the only pimatex Beverly's currently--or ever--had in stock. It's gorgeous! And I just love the way pimas feel. It's just a simple white fabric with a vine-y flower-y type print in a beautiful chocolate brown. I had to get the contrast in Kona, though. I typically don't enjoy mashing different textured cottons together in one ensemble. But the brown was a nearly perfect match, so I went with it. Plus, it is Beverly's. Enough said.

~~


Now, for the wrap dress. The first incarnation of this beauty was very traditional. I used a minty green cotton with little flowers all over it, and trimmed it with red bias binding. It was quite beautiful in it's simplicity, and even more so for being my first dress--this was 10 years ago, by the way. The second rendition was very modern, being made from a slightly metalic--shiny white, actually--leopard print quilting cotton, with the upper back and full skirt made from a stunning red Japanese print with large cranes on it.

Take 3--

For the third, but certainly not the last incarnation of one of my favorite dresses of all time, I decided to take it back to its roots. I'm going with red and white gingham, lined--because the fabric's super sheer--with a solid red. I'm even using a 60-40 poly-cotton blend. Not my first choice, but come on...Beverly's! And it was cheap! The gingham was $4.99/yard and the solid was $3.99/yard. Couldn't beat it...not with a stick! I'm using--again--red bias binding to finish the edges again, as well. I'm super excited.

~~

So, there's the projects for this week. Hopefully I won't be hand-sewing on the bias on my drive down L.A. But then again, why waste a lovely long drive? :D

I'll try to get some pics of my actually wearing the dresses--not at the same time, mind you--when I get home on Monday. Until then, have a happy Tuesday, and enjoy the heat--if it's hot where you are. And try to stay as cool--style wise, of course--as possible!

au revoir,
~j.b.

1 comment:

Sandra @ Pepperberry and Co. said...

Wow! That's a lot of dresses :-) You've got your hands full! Can't wait to see the photos :-)